Monday, February 25, 2008

Reagan’s Line Won’t Work

"Hillary's speeches may not be exciting, but, by God, every tired, clichéd, coma-inducing word is original. Except that they're not, that's the thing. You know, politicians, they all steal. ... In her closing statement, she ripped off something that Bill Clinton used to say, and he got it from Kennedy, who got it from FDR, who got it from Lincoln ... who got it from John McCain." --Bill Maher

I just read this joke and it made me think that McCain needs to follow in Ronald Reagan’s footsteps and use humor to try and defuse the age issue. Back in 1984, Reagan had this exchange during a debate with Walter Mondale.

MODERATOR: Mr. Trewhitt, your question to President Reagan?

REPORTER: Mr. President, I want to raise an issue that I think has been lurking out there for two or three weeks, and cast it specifically in national security terms. You already are the oldest President in history, and some of your staff say you were tired after your most recent encounter with Mr. Mondale. I recall, yes, that President Kennedy, who had to go for days on end with very little sleep during the Cuba missile crisis. Is there any doubt in your mind that you would be able to function in such circumstances?

REAGAN: Not at all, Mr. Trewhitt and I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent's youth and inexperience.

It was a brilliant line. It got a huge laugh, in large part because former Vice-President Mondale was hardly inexperienced and was youthful only in comparison to Reagan. But it also eliminated the age issue. Reagan’s age was never really an issue, at least that I remember. But McCain can hardly steal this line. Not just because plagiarism is suddenly an issue but because Obama really is young and inexperienced and McCain is going to make that an issue.

Perhaps he should say something like “With apologies to the Gipper, and I want you to know that I WILL make age an issue of this campaign. I AM going to exploit for political purposes my opponent's youth and inexperience.” If that doesn’t work maybe he can do a TV commercial where a CGI Clara Peller asks a CGI Barak Obama “Where’s the Beef?”

Or maybe I am just listening to too much Sirius Big 80’s

No comments: